Monday, February 22, 2010

Getting Creative, Being Artsy

In reality, I love Preschool.......because you can JUST PLAY. The learning really does come through the activities and play, I have witnessed it time and time again. I also love Elementary School, because YOU can make learning fun for your children again. This week, I am going to focus on creating and ART.......When I was teaching Preschool, I went to THE best workshop EVER. This amazing teacher teaches in California (I believe) and I learned so much from her. Bev Bos has the coolest Preschool I've EVER heard of and truly allows the children to just CREATE anything from ANYTHING. I wanted to include 10 rules Bev presents (in her amazing book- "Don't Move the Muffin Tins") when referring to ART or creating with children. The rules I've listed are centered around teachers, but you can make them work at home too. The rules I have paraphrased out of her book.
1. Don't Interfere: Once you've laid the materials out, forget what you have them intended for. Let the children use their imaginations.

2. Try One Yourself: BEFORE hand that is. Children lost interest quickly. They are not going to stand around while you work out last minute details.

3. Put the Child First: First: listen to what the child needs. "I try never to say, "We're not doing that today." if humanly possible." Second: Avoid problems with the way you present the materials.

4. Avoid Models: Never give a child a model. "It's insulting. It's like saying, "You don't know what a turkey looks like, so I'll show you."

5. Respect a Name: Don't put names on papers beforehand, ask them if they would like to write their name or if they would like you to. Also, don't rewrite their names for them. How would you like it if a Professor or teacher scratched your name out and rewrote it for you?

6. Don't Delay: "Remember, a child wants to see immediate results." Don't waste time with your Art program.

7. Spread the Word: Really orient your parents with a child-centered approach. "Make it clear to your teachers that you don't want "art" produced for you benefit, but rather a program that is aimed at developing your child's creativity."

8. No Leaping, Please!: We tend to LEAP on children when a spill happens or something is not used "correctly". PLEASE "Gently, gently guide and suggest."

9. Don't Feel Guilty: Don't feel guilty when you read these rules. "Feeling guilty is a waste of time." Just start applying these rules now.

10. Discourage "Good" Clothes: Schools sometimes provide cover-ups for children, but some children will refuse to use them. "To heck with aprons! I would never coerce a child into wearing one."

I thought because Spring is coming, Art and being creative may be a good starting point for activities with your children. Feel free to comment or leave some ideas of your own!



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have time to do this! Remember watching those videos of Bev Bos in our classes at USU. After that I always remember the runs with scissors motto Farol used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come I never got to see her stuff at USU? I may have to look her up! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete