Thursday, January 21, 2010

5 1/2 Years Isn't That Long.....RIGHT?!


I love Logan, Utah. That is where I went to College and obtained my Dual Degree in Early Childhood and Elementary Education from Utah State University (And yes, I am fully and completely convinced it is the best college on the face of the earth). It only took me 5 1/2 years. 5 1/2 years isn't THAT long, right (Haha!!!)? After I graduated, I worked at a Preschool in Logan for a year. It was a great time and a great learning period for me. It was run differently than The Child Development Lab on USU's Campus, but so splendid to compare and learn from new tactics.

Following that year, I was asked to return to the Child Development Lab on USU's Campus to get my Masters Degree and be a Head Teacher at the Preschool Lab there. While there, I was in charge of a 4-5 year old class and 5-6 Student Teachers. It was chaos, but exciting, exhilarating chaos.

Sadly, I felt getting a Masters was not for me, and I felt I needed more experience in the Elementary Education area. I interviewed and was offered a 3rd grade position in Perry, Utah. I could not have been happier. The children in my first class were outstanding. Overall, it was a very bright, excited to learn bunch of children. I was able to have fun with them, but also teach them so much. In reality, I think they taught me more than I taught them.

My second year was more of a struggle. The class was challenging, behaviorally and academically, and in September, I found out I was expecting our first child. That was a changing point in my life. After miscarrying just 4 months before, I was ecstatic to become a mom. After a tough year of teaching and having Jaeli Cyrena, my husband and I made a tough decision. We felt it was best if I stayed home with our daughter.

After two years of teaching in the Public School system, I took a leave of absence. I miss teaching terribly, but would miss my daughter more. Every step with her has been so outstanding!

Soon, I look forward to pursuing the avenue of creating and bringing to life my own Preschool. Any suggestions or helps you have for starting and running a business, please, leave your comments here. It would be greatly appreciated!



2 comments:

  1. Hey! Well, I don't know much about starting your own business... but I know of one future student that would like to enrol! (Name beign Dawson Ross)

    One thing that bothers me about preschool teachers is when they cancel class at the last minute due to whatever personal reasons they have.. but don't have a backup sub to fill in for them. It's so hard to tell your excited child that school has been cancelled! :)

    I think you will be AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for you!! We are looking for a house with a basement so I can start a preschool this fall. We'll have to be in touch to share ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete